Drider in Alvena: Drider (a mockery of drow and spiders) are not a race born of Alvena. When the noble drow of the ancient dark elven race succumbed to the temptations of the infernal invaders, the drow race was torn apart and fell into a period of civil war; amidst the ravages of the entire world being torn aflame. Many of the drow who rebelled against their queen were twisted and cursed by the magics that her infernal masters bestowed upon her; warped into true-breeding abominations. These centaur-like drow are horrific to nearly every race and with varying reactions from drow. The earliest driders were seen as martyrs of war to be pitied, while the nobility mocked them for their plight; while many of them went mad with grief, anger, and jealousy of their normal kin. A few drider embraced their changes after their transformation and broke into separate groups to distance themselves from the rest of the world.
In modern Alvena, drider are feared by the common populace when observed. They are massive, towering, and commanding of respect. Their spider-like bodies are terrifying to behold to most humanoids, and their natural gifts with magic make them formidable opponents. The queen of the noble drow eventually transformed several of her loyal subjects into drider as a gift rather than a curse; finding her design amusing and aesthetically pleasing. Now drider are often found in the company of drow from either faction; which has resulted in very mixed reactions from region to region.
Playing a Drider
In addition to the story based effects of playing drider, every player considering playing one should keep the following things in mind.
- Drider are large aberrations. They are rather large and also immune to both enlarge person and shrink person spells, making it difficult for them to adapt to different situations as humanoids can with these basic spells. This means pumping weapon damage can be more difficult, and fitting into tight places can be difficult - and may require squeezing - which can can make things harder.
- As large nonhumanoids drider cannot use the armor available to normal characters. All of their armor must be custom made and costs four times as much as armor for medium humanoids. So a suit of full-plate for a drider would cost no less than 6,600gp before armor enhancments; which can make them solid targets (though their natural armor helps alleviate this).
- Drider do not start with a character class at 1st level. They cannot take a class level until 2nd level at the earliest. Likewise, to match the strength of drider found in the Bestiary, the drider must progress in their racial progression class presented further down this page; meaning drider take a while before their abilities really shine - and also can miss out on high level class features.
Drider Racial Traits
All Driders begin first level with the following characteristics, and no class levels.
- Creature Type: Aberration
- Large: Drider receive a -1 size penalty to their AC, a -1 size penalty on attack rolls, a +1 bonus to Combat Maneuver Bonus and Combat Maneuver Defense, and a -4 size penalty on Stealth checks.
- +2 to each ability score.
- Base Speed: 30ft Land Speed and 20ft Climb Speed
- Natural Armor: Drider have a +2 natural armor bonus to AC.
- Darkvision: 120ft
- Immunity to sleep spells and effects.
- Weapon Familiarity: Drider are proficient with the shortbow and longbow (and their composite versions) as well as all simple weapons.
- Natural Attack: Drider have sharp fangs which can be used to deliver a bite attack that deals 1d4 damage plus 1.5 times the drider's strength modifier. Alternatively, the bite may be used as part of a full-attack with the drider's weapons, in which case it takes a -5 penalty to hit and only deals 1d4 plus one-half the drider's strength modifier in damage.
- Poison: Creatures hit by a drider's bite attack are affected by their poison. The save DC is 10 + 1/2 the drider's HD + the Drider's Constitution modifier. Drider sometimes coat their weapons in this poison as well.
- Drider Poison: Frequency - 1/round for 6 rounds; 1d2 Str damage; cure 1 save.
- Undersized Weapons (Ex): Although a drider is Large, its upper torso is the same size as that of a Medium humanoid's upper torso. As a result, it wields weapons as if it were one size category smaller than its actual size (Medium for most driders).
- Web: Driders have the Web ability (described below).
- Stealthy: Drider recieve a +4 racial bonus to Stealth checks (this negates their -4 penalty due to size).
- Spell Resistance: Drider are innately resistant to magic. Drider have a spell resistance equal to to 9 + the drider's HD (starts at SR 11).
- Aberration Hit Dice: Drider begin play with 2d8 aberration hit dice instead of a class level. These hit dice provide the drider with the following benefits.
- Starting HP: 9 + (Con Modifier * 2)
- Base Attack Bonus: +1
- Will Save: +3
- Skill Points: 8 + (Int Modifier * 2).
- Class Skills: Acrobatics, Climb, Escape Artist, Fly, Intimidate, Knowledge (pick one), Perception, Spellcraft, Stealth, Survival, and Swim.
Web (Ex) Creatures with the web ability can use webs to support themselves and up to one additional creature of the same size. In addition, such creatures can throw a web up to eight times per day. This is similar to an attack with a net but has a maximum range of 50 feet, with a range increment of 10 feet, and is effective against targets up to one size category larger than the web spinner. An entangled creature can escape with a successful Escape Artist check or burst the web with a Strength check. Both are standard actions with a DC equal to 10 + 1/2 creature's HD + creature's Con modifier. Attempts to burst a web by those caught in it suffer a –4 penalty.
Web spinners can create sheets of sticky webbing up to three times their size. They usually position these sheets to snare flying creatures but can also try to trap prey on the ground. Approaching creatures must succeed on a DC 20 Perception check to notice a web; otherwise they stumble into it and become trapped as though by a successful web attack. Attempts to escape or burst the webbing gain a +5 bonus if the trapped creature has something to walk on or grab while pulling free. Each 5-foot-square section of web has a number of hit points equal to the Hit Dice of the creature that created it and DR 5/—.
A creature can move across its own web at its climb speed and can pinpoint the location of any creature touching its web.
Drider Racial Progression
Drider in Alvena begin play at 1st level, but they are not as strong as full-fledged drider as described in the Pathfinder Bestiary or System Reference Document. Instead they use a racial progression which allows them to advance their abilities over several levels, keeping them more in line with standard characters in terms of power. At second level and onward, a drider character may choose to continue following her heritage, foregoing class levels in favor of her racial progression.
Hit Die: d8 (As Cleric)
Base Attack: Average (As Cleric)
Good Saves: Will (As Wizard)
Skill Points: 4 + Int Modifier.
Class Skills — Acrobatics, Climb, Escape Artist, Fly, Intimidate, Knowledge (pick one), Perception, Spellcraft, Stealth, Survival, and Swim.
Additional Notes: The Driders BAB and Save progression assumes that it is merely adding additional levels of Aberration onto the Drider and thus may appear to be unusual. It is identical to the standard progressions when combined with their racial hit dice.
|Level||Base Attack||Fortitude||Reflex||Will||Racial Ability||Spell-Like Abilities||Spellcasting / Manifesting|
|1||+1||+1||+1||+0||Ability Increase||Rank 1||Supernatural Discipline|
|2||+2||+1||+1||+1||Natural Armor Increase||-||+1 Effective Class|
|3||+2||+1||+1||+1||Ability Increase||Rank 2||+1 Effective Class|
|4||+3||+2||+2||+2||Natural Armor Increase||-||+1 Effective Class|
|5||+4||+2||+2||+2||Ability Increase||Rank 3||+1 Effective Class|
|6||+5||+2||+2||+3||Natural Armor Increase||-||+1 Effective Class|
|7||+5||+3||+3||+3||Ability Increase||Rank 4||+1 Effective Class|
As a drider advances their ability scores improve noticeably. They receive the following ability score increases at the levels indicated. When a drider increases its Intelligence score in this way, the drider immediately gains an additional skill point for each level the drider has previously attained; as if the drider began with this heightened intelligence.
- 1st - +2 Strength, Dexterity, and +2 Constitution
- 3rd - +2 Constitution and +2 Intelligence
- 5th - +2 Wisdom and +2 Charisma
- 7th - +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom and +2 Charisma
Natural Armor Increase
At 2nd, 4th, and 6th level, a drider increases its natural armor by 2.
As a drider advances they develop innate magical powers in the form of spell-like abilities. The drider's spell-like abilities are separated into ranks for the purposes of the drider progression and when the drider acquires them. The caster level for a drider's spell-like abilities are equal to her hit dice.
- At 1st level, a drider gains Rank 1 of her spell-like abilities. The drider gains detect magic and any two alignment detection spells (detect chaos, detect evil, detect good or detect law) of her choice. She may use these at-will.
- At 3rd level, a drider gains Rank 2 of her spell-like abilities. The drider may treat her rank 1 spell-like abilities as constant effects. She may suppress or resume these abilities as a free action.
- At 5th level, a drider gains Rank 3 of her spell-like abilities. The drider gains dancing lights, darkness, and faerie fire once per day as spell-like abilities.
- At 7th level, a drider gains Rank 4 of her spell-like abilities. The drider may use any of her rank 3 spell-like abilities at-will. The drider also gains clairaudience/clairvoyance, deeper darkness, dispel magic, levitate, and suggestion as spell-like abilities once per day.
Drider are exceptionally gifted with metaphysical energies which allows them to emulate and train in a magic or psionic discipline while growing in natural strengths. At 1st level the drider may choose a class that casts arcane or divine spells or manifests psionic powers (such as cleric, druid, sorcerer, wizard, psion, psychic warrior, or wilder). The drider gains the ability to cast spells or manifest powers as the chosen class, and has an effective caster or manifester level of 0; and can cast no spells initially (but may activate magic or psionic items such as wands or scrolls as if they were the appropriate class). This does not grant any other features of the chosen class (such as a wizard's familiar, a wilder's wild surge ability, a cleric's channel energy, etc).
At each additional level, the Drider increases its effective caster caster level by 1 and increases spells or powers known and spells per day or power points per day as though it advanced a level in that class. These effective levels stack with actual levels of the chosen class for the purposes of determining spellcasting or manifesting.