Doppelgangers and Changelings in Alvena: Doppelgangers are believed to be descended from a sort of evolutionary humanoid prototype that existed near the creation of the known world. These enigmatic humanoids are capable of transforming into a almost any humanoid form they can imagine. Doppelgangers are capable of breeding with other humanoids to produce what most call "changelings" with the ability to self-evolve into actual doppelgangers and repeat the process. Doppelgangers often find themselves naturally called to emulating different people and species, and often emulate a number of different personalities or even genders before deciding who they themselves are.
Changeling Racial Traits
Changelings have the following racial traits.
- Type: Changelings are Monstrous Humanoids with the Shapechanger subtype.
- Ability Scores: +2 Constitution. Changelings have strong bodies and immune systems.
- Darkvision: As monstrous humanoids, changelings have darkvision 60 ft.
- Natural Deceiver: +2 racial bonus on Bluff and Disguise checks.
- Change Shape (Su): Changelings have the Change Shape supernatural ability. They can take on any humanoid form as if using alter self except they don't adjust their ability scores and gains any other abilities of the creature it mimics.
- Perfect Copy (Su): When a changeling uses change shape, it can assume the appearance of specific individuals.
- Mind Reader: Changelings can use detect thoughts at-will as a spell-like ability with a caster level equal to their hit dice.
- Strong Minds: Changelings receive a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against sleep and charm spells and effects.
- Natural Weapons: Changelings can grow sharp claws which give them two natural claw attacks that deal 1d4 damage.
- Languages: Changelings begin speaking Common and one other language of their choice.
- Bonus Languages: Any
Doppelganger Racial Progression
Doppelgangers all begin as changelings from birth, but often mature into full powered doppelgangers. These shapeshifting paragons can mimic almost any humanoid they come across with startling power, and their bodies and minds become inordinately strong for their frame, as their bodies learn to harness the power of so many different species at once.
Hit Die: d10 (As Fighter)
Base Attack: Best (As Fighter)
Good Saves: Reflex and Will (As Bard)
Skill Points: 4 + Int modifier (As Barbarian)
Class Skills: The following are class skills for monstrous humanoids: Climb, Craft, Fly, Intimidate, Perception, Ride, Stealth, Survival, and Swim.
|Level||Base Attack||Fortitude||Reflex||Will||Special||Ability Increase||Natural Armor|
|1||+1||+0||+2||+2||Immunities, Lesser Mimicry||+2 Strength, +2 Wisdom||+1|
|2||+2||+0||+3||+3||Improved Deceiver||+2 Strength, +2 Intelligence||+2|
|3||+3||+1||+3||+3||Improved Claws||+2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma||+3|
|4||+4||+1||+4||+4||Mimicry||+2 Strength, +2 Wisdom||+4|
Immunities (Ex) At 1st level, doppelganger gains immunity to sleep spells and effects at 1st level, and immunity to charm spells and effects at 3rd level.
Lesser Mimicry (Ex) At 1st level, a doppelganger becomes proficient with all weapons, armor, and shields.
Improved Deceiver (Ex) At 2nd level, a doppelganger increases its racial bonus to Bluff and Disguise to +4 (from +2).
Improved Claws (Ex) At 3rd level, a doppelganger's base claw damage increases from 1d4 to 1d8.
Mimicry (Ex) At 4th level, a doppelganger can use any spell trigger or spell completion item as if the spells were on its spell list. Its effective caster level is equal to its racial Hit Dice.